Tucker Arensberg Attorneys Criminal Defense Group
Violent Crimes

Domestic Violence

To schedule an initial consultation with an experienced attorney, call your nearest office or complete the form.

Domestic violence has civil and criminal components — and it is smart to have a lawyer who understands both. Domestic violence is also an emotional issue, making it difficult to determine what happened. If you have been charged with domestic violence, you could have a lot to lose.

As soon as possible, talk to a criminal defense attorney. At the Tucker Arensberg, our criminal defense team has the experience to deal with domestic violence cases. In many cases, a police officer will charge the first person to call in, and not do a thorough investigation.

We can help you deal with the PFA order. If you have been charged with domestic violence, a civil court may issue a PFA — Protection from Abuse — order. The PFA can trigger a number of actions such as counseling, removal from your house, or fines. The first PFA will be temporary, but you only have 10 days to go to a PFA hearing that can make the order permanent for up to three years. It is a good idea to have an attorney at the PFA hearing.

Were you accused of violating a PFA? A PFA is a civil order, but a violation is criminal. You can be arrested and jailed for violating a PFA — going into your home, for example, even at the invitation of the alleged victim.

What about the domestic violence charge? That is a criminal charge and must be dealt with in criminal court. A conviction can give you a criminal record, prevent you from owning a weapon and send you to jail. Our law firm aggressively investigates domestic violence cases to discover what really happened and decide upon the right defense strategy. If you have been arrested for domestic violence, make sure you understand the charges, what the penalties are, and how to defend against the charges. Do not try to explain yourself to the police. Talk to a lawyer who cares about your future.

Contact us today for a free consultation.